What I've learnt about self-love

Sunday 22 January 2017


As a young woman speaking from experience, loving yourself can be extremely hard. We’re under constant scrutiny, whether it be from others or from ourselves and we’re bombarded with pictures of ‘perfectly’ shaped models with perfect-looking lives (thank social media) so it’s no wonder that women are finding it hard to love themselves. However, recently after learning to accept myself I’ve learnt a lot about self-love and I thought I would share it with you in the hopes that you might learn to love yourself too!


 Sometimes it means saying no.
Whether it be saying no to going out with your friends or saying no to an extra workload – sometimes we HAVE to say no because we need to take a bit of time for ourselves.
People’s opinions are their business, not yours.
In life, we are never going to be liked or appreciated by every single person that crosses our path. As long as you stay kind and true to yourself, if people have an issue, it’s their problem not yours. As the famous saying goes, “a lion doesn’t lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.”
We owe it to ourselves to look after our body AND our mind.
Looking after your body and your mind should always be top priority and both are as important as the other
Comparing yourself to others is a waste of time. 
We all know what it’s like to turn on the TV or open a magazine and see someone we wish we looked like but let’s face it, we never will. The images we see in the media are unrealistic, even the models in the pictures don’t look that way in real life! Comparing yourself to any other person is a complete waste of time because everyone is different! We should stop wasting our time feeling bad about looking different and start celebrating diversity.
Wear what you want to wear.
I used to say to myself, “if I was thinner I’d wear such nice clothes” and it wasn’t until this year that I realised I CAN WEAR NICE CLOTHES NOW. Having the confidence to wear what you want is hard and it takes a long time to get to a point where you are comfortable enough to do it, but once you do – it’s great!
I’m only human.I think we’re too hard on ourselves. It seems to be human nature to focus on what we can’t do rather than what we have done. It’s important to remember that we WILL make mistakes, but those mistakes don’t define us. The other day I congratulated myself on making a phone call that I was dreading (and had put off for at least 2 weeks) – it may seem like a small thing for some, but I was proud of myself for doing it so I felt like I deserved a congratulations. It’s little things like that, that people need to do more – whenever you achieve anything, no matter how small, just relish in the fact that you’ve achieved something!
You don’t need to have everything together.
No-one ever has their life 100% sorted, organised and perfect. If you have ever been told by someone that they have, chances are they were lying. So next time you feel like you’re falling apart and nothing seems to be going right just remember that you’re not alone because in the very least, I’m right there with ya!



xoxo Kayleigh

Post a Comment

Hiya, Kayleigh © . Theme by STS.