Comparison

Thursday 21 June 2018


It's really fucking hard to find the time to write stuff when you work full time. Like, seriously. How do people do it?! To be fair, the only time that I actually sit down and write is when I feel like I have something to say. Today I have something to say, but I think it's more for myself than anything else...

Recently I've been feeling pretty shit about living at home. When I finished uni I moved back home and I've been there ever since. That was nearly 2 years ago. It seems like everyone I know has moved out, is renting somewhere with their boyfriend or has bought a house/flat. It feels like living at home = failure, and it's pretty shit.
It got me thinking about comparison and how often we compare ourselves to others. I'm constantly comparing myself to other people my age, whether its with regards to jobs, qualifications, money or some other should-be-insignificant thing. Women are always comparing themselves to each other. We'd be lying if we said that we didn't go on Instagram pretty much daily and compare ourselves to people that look like they're leading the perfect life. I've seen an OBSCENE amount of tweets in the past week from girls comparing themselves to the ladies on Love Island. But the thing is, if we continue to compare ourselves to others, we'll never be happy. It will never be enough. It'll always be, "if I buy this I'll feel better"or "if I lose this many pounds I'll be happier". But it never works because it's never enough. There will always be someone with more and there will always be someone with less. I need to be happy with what I have and what I have achieved, and have confidence in myself that I will reach my goals whether it's tomorrow or a year from now. We all do.

I'm not really sure where I'm going or what I'm trying to say - I think I just needed to get my feelings out. I wish there was a way to be like "fuck comparisons" but I honestly don't think it's possible in today's society where adverts invade every aspect of life. Anyway, here's a nice quote I seen earlier today that I've put as my lock screen to remind me that things will happen at MY pace and that's OK.



1 comment

  1. I’ve never read anything so true.

    ‘Comparison is an act of violence against the self.’

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, Kayleigh © . Theme by STS.