Latest pins
Monday, 15 December 2014

BLOGMAS DAY 14: ALBUMS OF THE YEAR

On the fourteenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
 some cracking albums from 2014!


Alt-J // This is all yours
It must be quite daunting for a band to release a new album after their first one has done so well. This album, entitled This is All Yours, is Alt-J’s much anticipated follow up to their debut, mercury award winning album An Awesome Wave. I absolutely adored the first album when it came out in 2012, but I love this one just as much (if not more). There’s something so haunting and beautiful about the music that Alt-J produce, it’s so relaxing to listen to them. This album is filled with the beautiful sounds of chiming bells, flutes and pianos giving it that extra something different to the usual manufactured pop music that fills the charts today. It’s apparent that there’s much thought that has gone in to the actual musicianship of this album and that makes it a pleasure to listen to.


Catfish & The Bottlemen // The Balcony
This is the first album from Welsh band Catfish and the Bottlemen and personally, I think it’s genius. The band have been trying to break through since front man, Van McCann was 15 years old, now 21 it’s hard not to be impressed by their sheer hard work. This album is filled with big, sing-a-long choruses perfect for stadium gigs or festivals as well as realistic lyrics that make for easy listening.
I read recently that Van McCann had said “guitar music is not dead” and this is 100% true.


Fatherson // I am an Island
I first heard Fatherson when I was watching T in The Park on BBC Three this year. As soon as they started playing the intro to their first song (which happened to be the first track of the album, An Island) I was hooked. Not only did I watch the entire set there and then, I continued to watch it at least 4 more times online! I have a huge soft spot for Scottish bands anyway (see Biffy Clyro etc) because I find that there’s something about a Scottish accent singing beautiful lyrics that makes my knees weak. However, this album is just a damn good example of a traditional, indie rock album.


Taylor Swift // 1989
Okay, if anyone says they don’t like Taylor Swift they’re either too embarrassed to admit that they secretly listen to her songs when their on their own, or they’re crazy. Tay Tay is the perfect example of a strong, independent woman in the music industry. I love how she’s had so much shit about dating too many guys etc, but she just takes it in her stride and (literally as well as metaphorically) shakes it off. This album, and the success that is has already had, really shows how talented Taylor Swift actually is. You can say what you want about her social life, but there’s no denying that she knows exactly what she wants and she knows exactly how to get it.


Hozier // Hozier
This man’s voice is beautiful and that’s really all there is to it. It’s about time a nice soulful, jazzy, old-school voice is in the charts. Not to mention, Hozier’s debut single Take Me to Church is compellingly beautiful.









Ed Sheeran // X
It’s amazing to think that this is only Ed Sheeran’s second album because he’s already had amazing success and seems to be a household name now. It’s not surprising though, the success this album has had, because it’s utter magnificence. I absolutely love Ed’s voice and he writes the type of songs that you can put on, close your eyes and imagine that he’s singing them directly to you (swoon!). What’s more, it’s so refreshing to just listen to one man and a guitar. No fancy theatricals to distract you from his voice. Just him. And that’s all we need, just Ed.


Royal Blood // Royal Blood
I realised how amazing Royal Blood were this festival season. Just two lads from Brighton playing some nice, dirty Rock and Roll. Perfect. There’s something about this type of music that seems real and raw. It’s clear to hear, with the crushing guitar riffs and general loudness, that this is first and foremost a LIVE band which is what makes them truly great, because at the end of the day, that’s what it’s really about isn’t it? Live music. 



Kasabian // 48:13
When I get old and nostalgic like many of our parents are and one of my children asks me “what sort of music did you used to listen to when you were younger Mum?” I would like to think that I would talk about Kasabian with the same fondness that my Dad talks about Queen or my Mum talks about the Bay City Rollers.
I had the absolute pleasure of seeing the majority of the songs off of this album live in Kasabian’s hometown of Leicester this Summer, and I’ve got to say it’s one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. Their past 3 albums before this one had all went to Number 1 in the UK album chart and this was no different. It is my personal opinion, that Kasabian are at the top of their game right now and could possibly be the best British band of the time. This album is a compilation of powerful songs with powerful lyrics and the experimental edge that it has demonstrates how much the band are evolving.

 

George Ezra // Wanted on Voyage
There’s been a major turn in the UK music industry recently with more people being interested in young men and their guitars as opposed to manufactured pop bands. Although George Ezra is technically just another one of these young, guitar-strumming English boys, there’s something extra about him that drew me in. Perhaps it’s his deep, soulful voice or his super catchy songs – who knows. What I do know though, is that I LOVE George Ezra. 

Paolo Nutini // Caustic Love
It's hard to believe that this is only Paolo's THIRD album because he's been around for ten years (whaaat!). It says a lot about an artist, though, when they go away for 5 years and come back with a new album that goes STRAIGHT to number one. The thing about Paolo that I love the most, is that every one of his albums is completely different, the only thing that remains the same is his incredible voice. With this album, it's clear that he's put a tremendous amount of effort in to evolving his musical style and developing his skills as not only a very talented singer, but a very talented song writer. 




Sooo that's 10 of our favourite albums from 2014, but I'm sure there's many more great ones! If you like some of the one's we've mentioned or are interested in finding some new music to listen to, feel free to have a look at our Faves of 2014 playlist on Spotify.

Comment some of your favourite albums / songs from this year below, we'd love to hear what you've been listening to!


A&K x

1 comment:

  1. Some great picks here, particularly Alt-J! 'Every Other Freckle' is probably my favourite song of the year, sonically OUTSTANDING!

    Jade x
    jadethejourno.blogspot.co.uk ♡

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams